If you know me, you know I’m passionate about reading. There is so much to learn from books and today I want to share some reasons for reading.
Since I’m not a big fan of the TV, I usually spend time reading instead. In the evening after dinner, we like to be together in our side-by-side recliners, where I usually read while John watches The History Channel or some DIY program. If the book I’m reading keeps my attention, I can block out the sound of the TV. I love a good suspenseful mystery!
Book Reviews combine my love of reading and my love of writing. Many publishers offer free books for your review. If this is something you might be interested in, see my post on Blog for Books.
A Social Media website for everything books is Goodreads. With an account on Goodreads, you can keep track of the books you read, create a list of books you want to read, post your rating and review, follow your favorite authors, and much more. They also offer giveaways of certain books.
Some of my reasons I read are:
- Learning something new. I’ve learned new ideas for decorating my home, habits of animals and birds, healthy eating, simplifying life and ways to declutter. Psychology has intrigued me so I enjoy reading about personality types and relationship dynamics.
- Keeping my brain active. I haven’t researched studies, but I would think an active brain deters some diseases such as dementia.
- Reading is relaxing. I can escape from reality for a short time as I travel with the characters to a picnic on the beach or board the cruise ship and experience life on the sea. Nothing wrong with that!
- As a writer, I enjoy reading as a way to learn more about the craft of writing. I take notes while reading both fiction and nonfiction. I note the style of an author’s words. I note how they string words together, not to copy from them but as a way to help me learn my voice.
- Reading provides a way to live a life unlike your own. I may never serve a country as a missionary but I enjoy reading about others who do.
- Though I read a variety of categories, Christian Living is my favorite. Yes, I read my Bibles but CL books help to expand a certain virtue from the Bible. For instance, Lysa TerKeurst’s books Unglued, Made to Crave and Uninvited have all helped me to grow in my relationship with Christ. She includes lots of Scripture in her books.
Those are some of my reasons and I would love to hear your reasons you enjoy reading. And if you are not a reader I hope I’ve encouraged you to find a book worthy of your time and escape to the world of reading.